Last January 2, 2021, the Marist Institution celebrated its 204th founding day through a mass presided by Rev. Fr. Jeomar Candido, DCM, chaplain of Notre Dame of Dadiangas University, that was streamed on the Facebook pages of the school and of the Campus Ministry Office. 

During the homily, Fr. Candido remembered what St. Marcellin had in mind when he founded the Marist brothers.

“As we celebrate our 204th founding anniversary, let us always remember what [St. Marcellin Champagnat] had in mind when he founded the Marist brothers. For the Christian education, he built schools for the unprivileged, so that they would learn to become good Christians and good people,” Fr. Candido said. 

[St. Marcellin] chose to call his brothers ‘little brothers of Mary,’ emphasizing the meekness and humbleness he wished them to pursue

Rev. Fr. Jeomar Candido, DCM (Chaplain of the Notre Dame of Dadiangas University)

Fr. Candido also reminded the community of what St. Marcellin called the early Marists and what he wished them to follow. 

“We know that he chose to call his brothers ‘little brothers of Mary,’ emphasizing the meekness and humbleness he wished them to pursue and seeking their consecration to her as an exemplar of fidelity to Christ,” he added.

St. Marcellin founded the Marist Institute on January 2, 1817, under the name “Little Brothers of Mary.” 

The Holy See later approved the institute, officially declaring it as an autonomous institute of pontifical right in 1863 and giving it the title of “Fratres Maristae a Scholis” (Marist Brothers of the School). Martin Victorino // Image lifted from Champagnat.org

Leave a Reply